Sunday, July 1, 2012

Required Words


Writing Prompt 185: Write a story using the words little boy, torn page, market, and cart.

I shuffle over to the couch and plop down on the sagging cushions.  Water drips down my face from my hair, still wet from the shower.  My eyes wander down to where my little boy is playing on the worn-out rug.  I always hated that rug.  Lee likes it though, so I’ve never replaced it.  He looks up at me now, his big blue eyes still bright with the ignorance that comes with youth.  I smile back.  He holds up his coloring book to me, showing me the car that he’s colored red.  Mostly in the lines.  His little hands slip on the paper and it rips down the middle.  Shoot.  I slide down to the floor with a smile.

                “It’s alright, Little Man,” I say, taking the torn page from him.  “We’ll work on this next page, okay?  What color should the puppy be?”

                Lee has lost interest in coloring now, though, and looks at me expectantly.  I’m too tired to entertain him.

                “Why don’t we go to the market, hmm?” I ask. 

His face breaks into a toothy grin at the suggestion.  Lee loves the market.  I put his shoes on his tiny feet and we walk out the door.  It is a short walk from our apartment and the weather isn’t too bad.  The sun is a little hot on the back of my neck.  I pick out a cart from the line and place Lee down in the seat at the front.  He looks around excitedly, but does not see what he is looking for.

                “Your dad’s around here somewhere,” I assure him.  “We’ll probably see him at check-out.”

                We go to the produce aisle first.  I pick out what I’ll need for this week’s cooking.  I grab a ripe-looking peach and hand it to Lee.  The juice dribbles down his chin as he takes a bite.  I should have brought something to wipe him with.  He finishes the fruit while I pick out the rest of what we’ll need.  Lee’s father smiles at me from behind the register.

                We exchange pleasantries, but Lee claims most of his attention.  He loves to tell his dad about his day.  He asks how I’ve been.  Tired, but good.  He’s looking forward to the weekend when he gets to take Lee.  He’s planning a day at the park.  I’m sure that Lee will tell me all about it.  We say goodbye and leave.  Lee waves goodbye over my shoulder.  When we get back, he starts to color the dog purple.

1 comment: