Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Forgiveness

The hallway was silent.  I stared at the wooden blockade in front of me.  The knot in my chest clenched tighter.  It has been nearly a year since we last talked.  What will he say when I suddenly appeared at his front door?  I raise my hand to knock, but cannot force myself to make contact with the wood.  I sigh, slowly loosing my nerve.  I glance down the hallway to my left.  My right.  There is no one here; no one will know if I leave now.

I hear movement inside the apartment.  There is no denying that he is home.  I steady myself and knock tentatively on the door.  The sound echoes eerily down the abandoned hallway.  I hear shuffling approaching and suddenly find it difficult to draw a breath.  The lock clicks as he turns it from inside.  The door inches open.  A bead of sweat drips down the nape of my neck.  I force a smile.

"Damien."

His blue eyes widen in a mixture of joy and confusion.  He motions me inside without a word.  He prepares us both a cup of coffee and I sit down on the old sofa.  The one we bought together.  It looks out of place against his newer decor.  The coffee in my cup ripples as my hand shakes.  Damien remained silent.  I wish that he would speak.  I wish that he would yell and call me all the horrible things that I am.  The silence is killing me.

"I'm sorry."  The words catch in my throat.  I don't know if he could understand them or not.  He looks down at his hands.  Slowly he stands up and claims the seat next to me.  His strong arm wraps around my shoulders.  The touch is not romantic, but it is forgiving.  For now, that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment