Saturday, June 30, 2012

My Audience

     Last week as an assignment we played a 20-questions-ish game to get to know who we would be writing for this semester. There were several fun questions and insightful answers. It was a fun opportunity to "see" the people in my class, even though we only meet online.

     In ten years time most of us envision ourselves with a house and a happy job in the careers that we are preparing for. Several of us are interested in starting families, some looking forward to children. Others are more specific as to where they'd like to be physically, some describing land with farm animals and some wanting to live near the water. I think it's a safe summary to say that most of us plan to be happy and successful, which is why we are working hard now to secure that future.

     It seems like most of us enjoy dancing, but have no real confidence in it (I fall into this category!) Sometimes making a fool out of ourselves is the best way to relax!

     One of my favorite questions was "what makes everybody happy?" It seems like such a simple question, but sometimes its good to sit down and actually think about it. There are several things that make me happy that I don't necessarily think about. The one thing that seemed to ring true in every response was this: family. Our family and friends are such a joy in our lives, and I'm so happy to see that everyone is able to appreciate those around them.

     Given a week to spend one million dollars it seems like most of us quickly secure the things necessary for an easy life: a house, a car, pets, perhaps a vacation or two. After those things though, I'm proud to say that most of us would rather donate the rest to a charity than whittle it away on meaningless stuff. It's always such a great thing to see how many people are willing to help others when they have the means to do so.

     The question I asked was what everyone's favorite book was. While I did get several responses, I was slightly disappointed at the number of people that didn't have one. Most of the people that did have a ready response were ones that I have not read or heard much about, so I look forward to exploring them later.

     Overall, it seems like I am surrounded by a diverse and colorful group this semester. While we obviously cannot share every interest or desire, it seems like we are all aware of ourselves and who we want to become. I am sure that through this semester and what comes after we will all work to achieve what we strive for and keep close to the things we care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment