Sunday, June 24, 2012

I Believe Free-write Response


I believe in love.  Love can come in many forms: through friendship, family, romance, and even people we meet on a daily basis.  I think that this world does not think about love enough.  If more people were to focus on love rather than confrontation, we would have less problems in this world.  This has been something that I’ve seen a lot in my short time here in this world.  I often marvel at how petty people can be over the smallest of things.  I cannot believe that people are so unable to see past their own small differences.  Even in school or work I often encounter people judging others’ actions.  While I sometimes find myself falling into that habit also, it’s something that I actively try to avoid.  I really do try to love everyone, despite what they’ve said or done to me.  Really the only thing that I have trouble forgiving is when someone wrongs a friend of mine.  I don’t care too much about what happens to me, but I am very protective of those I care about.  While I do consider this a good character trait, I still need to be able to forgive people for any action they may do.

Even in my family I see love taking a back seat to petty arguments, which is something I regret deeply.  I don’t know why, but sometimes I am able to get along better with a complete stranger then I am with my own sister.  We usually get along great, but when we argue it’s like beating our heads against a brick wall.  Perhaps it’s because we are both very stubborn and have trouble admitting when we are wrong.  Still, love manages to win eventually, once we are able to actually listen to each other.

I often get frustrated when watching television – be it news or fictional stories.  There are so many things I see that could be avoided if people would simply take other people’s wellbeing into consideration.  If people could care for each other the same way they look after themselves, things would be so much simpler.  I often wonder if I am unique in this viewpoint (something that feels rather arrogant now that I write it out).  I know that other people care for people, but why are we as a species so unable to look after each other?  We let small things like possessions keep us from looking after what truly matters.  It makes me so sad when I sit down and think about it.  I guess that all I can do is try to be a positive influence in the lives that I come across and hope that it gives others the desire to do the same for others.

Word Count: 457

3 comments:

  1. Love can come in many forms. I have this friend that I'd meet at another school I went to. She is the same as my mother, but I love her like a sister and a best friend. She has been there for me alot. My husband was deployed for a year and she was there when I needed someone to talk to and a she even came over to comfort me when my grandfather died.
    On another point in your post, the idea of the world getting along thru love, it sounds like a good idea. But the reality of it actually happening is probably slim to none. Because unfortunaly alot of people just don't like people that are different from them.. And that's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing I value more than the love of my friends. It's kind of funny, because in high-school I used to tell them I loved them. They thought I was really weird at first, but they got used to it eventually. I think it helped when they figured out that I don't consider all love to be romantic.
    I know that the idea will never come true, and that's part of why I get so frustrated at times. It seems like such a simple concept to me, but it's one that the majority of the population will never understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely enjoy talking about love so I was very excited to read your post. I think that we as humans have watered down what love truly is. My favorite definition of love is complete and utter selflessness. Meaning when you are doing something for someone you not only don't expect anything in return in fact the thought doesn't even cross your mind.

    ReplyDelete